- Multiple Calendars don’t physically exist in the Blackberry.
- You can sync multiple calendars from your PC Outlook to your single calendar on the Blackberry. This can include ICAL Google Calendars that have been added/registered in your Outlook.
I have already updated to the latest Desktop Software and upgraded my OS (see the BB upgrade post). I am now interested in syncing my 5 internet folders from Google and my work Outlook calendar. I have already added my Internet Calendars (how to add ICALs in Outlook is not described here) and are registered in my Outlook account.
It is expected that this is a one-way feature, meaning I can’t add something to my Blackberry and expect it to upload all the way to the Google Calendar (ICAL) because I don’t believe the Blackberry knows the difference between the ICAL and Outlook mappings. But I am going to try changing an ICAL event on the Blackberry to see how it’s handled when syncing back to the registered ICAL in Outlook.
The steps to sync between registered ICALs and my Blackberry device are:
- Open the Blackberry Desktop Manager
- Click on Synchronize link
- Choose the Configuration tab
- Click the Configure sync… button
- Select the Calendar application
- Click the Advanced… button
- Select the calendar mapping (should right now be 1 folder mapped)
- Click on the Map Folder… button
- Expand the Internet Calendars node
- Find the calendar to sync, selected it and click the Add button
- You will now see 2 folders mapped in the calendar mapping list
- Click OK all the way down the dialogs until you get back to the Configuration tab
- Choose the Synchronize tab
- Click the Synchronize button
- A new sync dialog will appear asking to apply X amount of items to the device, click Accept
The sync will finish and you should now see on your device all the calendar items from the Internet Calendar(s) you added. It is true that there is only one calendar on the BB, but the items are marked (I don’t know how yet) belonging to the mapped calendar.
Removing ICAL from Sync
I took the first ICAL I added out of the mapping, and added second ICAL. While syncing, a dialog like before told me it was going to delete the entries from the first ICAL and then also add the entries from the second ICAL. Now that it’s synced, everything on the BB looks like I expect.
Duplicates from Outlook and ICAL
Another test is to remove one of the duplicates on my Blackberry because it existed in my Outlook and the Google Calendar, obviously because I needed it on my Blackberry and the Google Calendars hadn’t synced successfully yet. I went in to Outlook and deleted my Outlook recurring event. I resynced and it told me I was going to delete the event as expected, and now there’s only one event in my Blackberry. The Google Calender event on my Blackberry is even recognized as a series (recurring) event. Cool.
Changing the ICAL event on the BlackBerry
I want to see what happens now when I change the already synced event (from Google -> Outlook Registered ICAL -> Mapped Sync on Blackberry) to time 15 minutes later than originally scheduled and see how the return sync behaves. The sync dialog indicates one change.
I checked the event in Outlook and it did not updated. Hmm. OK. Well, it doesn’t go back to there. I’ll have to try a delete also to see what happens. I’m going to update the ICAL event now to the new time. Can’t make changes to the Read only folder.
Once I get the folder synced, it doesn’t go back the other way at all. That’s ok for now. I’ll have to see if other applications offer updating. At least for now, I can sync to the Blackberry so everything is there without messing up my company Outlook calendar. =)
Multiple ICAL Mappings
If you want to add a second, third, or fourth ICAL mapping from your Google account, follow the same steps above and it will sync. Mind you that any changes on your Blackberry will not carry back to Outlook, nor Google.
1 thought on “Multiple Calendars on Blackberry 8100”
I am trying to sync 2 groupwise calendars into my BB8100. My Groupwise calendar is already set up, but now I need to add my Fiancee’s. When I go to the Advanced tab, in the folder mapping section, it is grayed out and says “no folder mapping is available for calendar section”
Is there a way to get his calendar onto my bb?