Now that Windows 10 has introduced the new light-weight and fast browser called Edge, it has reset a few settings. We personally love the new browser and it gives a lot of slim and slender features and choices. Although we like it, we would encourage you to try Edge for a few weeks to see how you like it. These are instructions to help add a new search engine because it’s not intuitive.
These instructions help to do the following:
- Register/add a new search engine
- Set a default search engine
- Remove a search engine
Prepare by loading a search engine to register
- Open the Edge browser
- The first most important step is to have your search page already loaded in an Edge tab if you are registering a new search engine, if you are setting a new default or removing, you can skip to the next section.
- Click your mouse in the top “hidden” area next to the Refresh circle, this is where prior browser text boxes are located. When you blindly click in that area, the URL/Search text box will appear. As a note: we haven’t really liked this “hiding” of the URL/search box, but it does make the page look more simple.
- In the URL/Search box type the search page of your choice and load it, repeat this step in a separate tab for as many search engines you want to register.
- Here are our favorites (including Bing, but it’s the default already). Click the links below to load them in a new tab:
Manage search engines
This may be easier if you Pin the Advanced Settings to the right side of the Edge window area. This is done by clicking on the Pin in the top-right corner when you have clicked on step 3.
- Click on the ellipses menu button at the top-right of the Edge toolbar
- Click the Settings menu option
- Click on the View Advanced Settings button at the bottom of the list
- Find the entry “Search in the address bar with”, click the drop-down and choose “<Add new>”
- A list of all search engines you’ve previously registered or recently loaded in separate tabs will appear
- For each entry, click it and choose to Add as default or Add or Remove
- This will take you back to the previous page, repeat the process starting with step 4
As we mentioned, it’s not very intuitive to have the search engines loaded in separate tabs first but we hope this is a worthwhile instruction.